Is there really any reason to question why people love shopping from the comforts of their own homes? Last week, our blog revisited this topic and outlined the various benefits that consumers enjoy when they make purchases directly from company websites. If you’ve yet to hop on board with this growing trend, perhaps the following statistics will convince you to change your mind.
Here are five statistics that prove a growing love for online shopping:
1. Online shopping retail sales are predicted to grow to $370 billion in 2017. As reported by Jiafeng Li on iAcquire.com, Forrester Research has found that the online sales volume of $231 billion in 2012 is expected to steadily rise to record heights this year. What is important about this statistic is that it shows that there has been steady growth in online shopping and there is no decline or plateau in sight!
2. 72 percent of Millennials research and shop their options online before going to a store or the mall. It’s highly important for all business owners to take notice that our younger generation highly favours the internet. This statistic, revealed by Robin Lewis on Forbes.com, comes courtesy of an online study of 1,300 consumers by Intelligence Group (TIG), a division of Creative Artists Agency. It demonstrates that Millennials are savvy shoppers, prone to use the internet to help them land on the best buying choices. But they’re not the only ones…
3. 94 percent of online shoppers conduct research before making purchases. Retailers need to be aware that modern-day consumers of all ages use the internet for window shopping as much as they do actual shopping. This is because the internet makes it so easy to browse items and compare prices. Li reports this statistic, based on a Compete.com report, and adds that 61 percent of online shoppers use search engines to discover information when shopping online.
4. 84 percent of store visitors use their devices before or during a shopping trip. According to PRNewswire.com, a Deloitte study found that tablets, smartphones and laptop computers are regularly used by today’s shoppers. “Consumers using a device during their shopping journey convert – meaning they make a purchase — at a rate 40 percent higher than those who do not use a device,” reports the site, adding that 22 percent of consumers spend more as a result of using digital devices.
5. More than 50 percent of the population in the United States shops online. Citing a Forrester Research study reported on by the Wall Street Journal, Madeline Farber suggests that “that’s a wakeup call for retailers, especially traditional department chains” on Fortune.com. With statistics showing such rapid growths in online shopping, is it not safe to assume that your company will greatly benefit from adopting an e-commerce solution?
At Canadian POS Corporation, we offer a secure e-commerce solution that enables you to easily and securely accept and process all credit cards – Visa, MasterCard, Discover Network, American Express – from your website. For more information, call Canadian POS Corporation at 1-877-748-2884 or email us at info@localhost.